I would like to have a hot chocolate

gpuri

English, Aust.
Bonjour,

I would like to know if there is any difference bewteen the use of avoir and boire in the following sentence:

"I would like to have a hot chocolate"
Would both of the below translations be acceptible?

Je voudrais boire un chocolat chaud.
Je voudrais avoir un chocolat chaud.

If the first sentence is not correct, how may 'boire' be used in a simple sentence?

merci d'avance.

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    The meaning is the same; I don't not see any noticeable difference.

But I would prefer une bière froide. :)

FreddieFirebird

USA
    English
    I thought you could not use avoid when discussing the consuming of food and drink. I learned that "prendre" was ok, but never "avoir" to say that you are 'having a beer' or whatever. Is that not the case? Bear on mind I don't know hardly any slang.

petit1

français - France
    I would never say "je voudrais prendre un chocolat chaud" but "Je voudrais un chocolat chaud" "j'aimerais bien un chocolat chaud". "je boirais bien un chocolat chaud."

All in One

Banned
    franco-français
    I thought you could not use avoid when discussing the consuming of food and drink. I learned that "prendre" was ok, but never "avoir" to say that you are 'having a beer' or whatever. Is that not the case? Bear on mind I don't know hardly any slang.
    That is very true. The chief meaning of avoir is to own. That's why we say prendre une douche, and not avoir une douche, which would mean that your bathroom is equipped with a shower. You can avoir un chocolat chaud dans les mains (hold it in your hands) but that would certainly not mean that you're drinking it.

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    But in a restaurant, would you not ask the server: « Est-ce que je peux avoir un chocolat chaud » ? :confused:

Micia93

France French
    Tu peux effectivement, si tu demandes ça à l'heure de l'apéro :D
    par contre, imagine que tu aies très soif, tu frappes chez quelqu'un et là, tu peux dire :"est-ce que je peux avoir un verre d'eau, s'il-vous-plaît?", car ta démarche n'est pas commune
    autrement, tu passes ta commande simplement : "je prendrais un chocolat chaud" ou encore plus simple :" un chocolat chaud SVP"

OLN

French - France, ♀
    The chief meaning of avoir is to own.
    But in a restaurant, would you not ask the server: « Est-ce que je peux avoir un chocolat chaud » ? :confused:
    Le sens de "Puis-je avoir... ?" est "Pouvez-vous me donner/passer /apporter... ?"

« Est-ce que je peux avoir un chocolat chaud ?»
    Pour l'avoir, il faut qu'il y en ait dans ce restaurant et que le serveur l'apporte. C'est une façon polie demander au serveur s'il en sert et, si c'est le cas, d'en apporter un.

< Previous | Next >