I would like/want to buy a new hat

hhtt

Turkish
Would you please help me form these similar sentences? If my attempt is wrong, would you please correct it?

I would like to buy a new hat.
Ich möchte einen neuen Hut kaufen

I have hesitations about if "möchten" corresponds to "would like to" here.

Thank you.

• Hutschi

It works well.
    It means: I want to buy a new hut. ... I'd like to buy a new hut. Somewhere between.

Please give some context to help.
    Do you say it to the seller or to a friend? What is the situation?

hhtt

Turkish
    Do you say it to the seller or to a friend? What is the situation?
    I don't have a situation in my mind. I am a very-lower learner. So I was just learning to form correct sentences. Meanwhile English is heavily dependent on context is so German?

Thank you very much.

Hutschi

Indeed, it is.

In a shop, I'd say: "Ich möchte bitte einen neuen Hut.", "Ich hätte gern einen neuen Hut.", or "Ich möchte einen neuen Hut kaufen." - There exist more variants.

If I want to tell a friend that I want to buy a new hut, just to inform him, I'd say: "Ich möchte mir einen neuen Hut kaufen."

hhtt

Turkish
    Indeed, it is.
    In English, a word usually has at least several senses so people wants context to work out the correct sense among other. Do German words usually have different senses so that you need context to work out the correct and relevant sense among others?

Thank you.

Hutschi

This is indeed the case, and in some cases it causes misunderstandings.
    Many words have one meanings, but several words have different meanings.
    In many cases a word can also be used ironically or figurative.

Case endings clarify the grammatical structure, but in some cases you have identical endings.

There are homonyms, too.

In some situations we are using other phrases with the same meaning, different to other ones.

Hutschi

PS:
    To make it more precise:

It also depends on what is your definition of "word".
    There are lots of word with just one sense. But in many cases the sense can depend on context.
    And we have language changes.

Simple example: "Buch" (book) has extended the meaning by "E-Buch" (e-book). So the meaning depends now on context in a strict sense, in a lower strict sense, a book is a book independend on context.

hhtt

Turkish
    Simple example: "Buch" (book) has extended the meaning by "E-Buch" (e-book). So the meaning depends now on context in a strict sense, in a lower strict sense, a book is a book independend on context
    A fine explanation with example. Thanks for it.

< Previous | Next >