I would sleep there, given the opportunity

< Previous | Next >

perpend

Banned
American English
I would sleep there, given the opportunity.

Ich würde da schlafen, wenn es ginge.

Geht das?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Liam Lew's

I would translate it as "Ich würde dort schlafen, wenn es ginge" but your sentence is correct as well. But however, what is the situation in which you want to say the sentence. I think it matters.

Last edited:

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    What do you want your English version to say, perpend? I mean, what's the deal with this "opportunity" malarkey?

My point is that not only does "opportunity" disappear in your proposed translation, but I'd be most unlikely to reverse-translate "wenn es ginge" into anything involving "opportunity".
    "Wenn es ginge" means "if it were possible" (the subjunctive here stipulating that it is not, in fact, possible).
    "If it is possible" (or simply "if possible") would be "wenn es geht" (implying hope that it will be possible).

Liam Lew's

What do you want your English version to say, perpend? I mean, what's the deal with this "opportunity" malarkey?

My point is that not only does "opportunity" disappear in your proposed translation, but I'd be most unlikely to reverse-translate "wenn es ginge" into anything involving "opportunity".
    "Wenn es ginge" means "if it were possible" (the subjunctive here stipulating that it is not, in fact, possible).
    "If it is possible" (or simply "if possible") would be "wenn es geht" (implying hope that it will be possible).
    Maybe he doesn't want a direct translation. But I tend to agree with you. "Wenn es ginge" says nothing about who enables or hinders him to sleep there. It can be on his part or on the opposites part or even some third party. But as far as I understand, the original version states that it's on the opposites part or on a third party, but not on his part.
    I hope my understanding is correct. The words "given the opportunity" make me thinking of an external cause.

So we need to know which part of the original sentence Perpend regards as essential and the situation in which the sentence would be used would also help.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >