I would think they will have got there by now

< Previous | Next >

Xento131

French - France
Hi guys,

I've been working my grammar with the "Cambridge C2 proficiency" book and in an exercise in which I had to fill blanks with a suitable word or phrase I encountered this one :

It's almost half past nine: I would think they ........ got there by now.

The expected answers are: will / should / ought to have

I'm struggling to understand the grammar for that one: I would think they will have got there by now.
I feel like there is something wrong with the grammatical structure. Do you guys have other examples using it?

Also I answered: I would think they would have got there by now.
Because I think I've already heard something like "I'd think they'd've come by now".
Is it grammatically correct?

Thank you
Xento

• Xento131

French - France
    You weren't given 'will have' or 'would have' as options.

Which of the three options you were given do you think will work?
    Oh sorry I wasn't clear. I have to fill out the blanks by myself.
    All 3 answers "will / should / ought to .. have" are supposed to be correct according to the Answer key at the end of the book.
    And that's why I'm asking some explanations about "I would think they will have got there by now".

The Newt

English - US
    Oh sorry I wasn't clear. I have to fill out the blanks by myself.
    All 3 answers "will / should / ought to .. have" are supposed to be correct according to the Answer key at the end of the book.
    And that's why I'm asking some explanations about "I would think they will have got there by now".
    In US English I don't think it works. "I would think they must have got(ten) there by now" would be okay.

Xento131

French - France
    In US English I don't think it works. "I would think they must have got(ten) there by now" would be okay.
    Thanks, it's what I thought .. saying it felt kinda odd. And in US English would it work to say: "I would think they would have got there by now" ?

< Previous | Next >