I would/will my best

< Previous | Next >

PaoloFR1

Italian - Italy
Hi, I have a doubt.

In this sentence: "If he were angry, I would calmly try to explain to him that I would do my best to solve his problem as soon as possible", is it correct using "I would do my best" or do I have tu use "I will do my best"?

I'm talking about a future possibility, so which one is the correct?

• colum4

China-Chinese
    I would definitely use "would" in this context - you're talking about a hypothetical situation, rather than a future intent.
    I would do my best.
    The whole sentence refers to a hypothetical situation.
    Hi,
    But if "I do my best to solve his problem as soon as possible" has nothing to do with whether he is angry, that is to say that I am certain that I will do my best to solve his problem as soon as possible for some reason(such as he being my friend), I think I can use "will" to replace "would"

Am I right?

Thank you.

boozer

Bulgarian
    If we know that there is a problem and we want to reassure someone that we will handle the situation, we can say:
    I will do my best to solve this problem.

In a hypothetical situation, we will use would:
    If he told me he was broke, I would do my best to help him.

colum4

China-Chinese
    If we know that there is a problem and we want to reassure someone that we will handle the situation, we can say:
    I will do my best to solve this problem.

In a hypothetical situation, we will use would:
    If he told me he was broke, I would do my best to help him.

Hi boozer,
    I know, but "I do my best to solve his problem as soon as possible" has nothing to do with whether he is angry, that is to say that I am certain that I will do my best to solve his problem as soon as possible for some reason(such as he being my friend),this thing(I will do my best to solve his problem as soon as possible) will happen nearly 100 percent.

So
    in this part---"If he were angry, I would calmly try to explain to him that" I use conditional; in the other part---"I would do my best to solve his problem as soon as possible", I use normal phrase that I want to use "will" to replace "would".

Can I do that?

Thank you.

boozer

Bulgarian
    No, because that clause you are talking about is subordinate to the one where 'would' is used. Sequence of tenses must be applied. Past tense of 'will' is 'would'.

< Previous | Next >