IB aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people

< Previous | Next >

boysenberryjam

English - North American
Hi everyone.

I'm working on a school website, and I came across a use of the word "develop" that sounds very odd to me.

The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.

This was originally copied from the official International Baccalaureate (IB) website. Now, IB is a very prestigious organisation, and I'm almost positive that the website has been managed by English mothertongues. So perhaps this is a regional difference in the use of the word? To me, children and students develop (intransitive). You can develop ideas, skills, theories, techniques (transitive). You can even, I suppose, develop yourself. But using develop intransitively when the direct object is a human being just sounds off to me.

Is it me? Is this a US/CAN vs UK English thing? Or is the sentence awkward?

Thanks so much guys.

• lingobingo

English - England
    It sounds OK to me. What other word would you replace develop with? Create, produce, spawn, mould, form…?

EDIT: Obviously develop is not being used intransitively here, since it does have a direct object.

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    You........can develop ideas, skills, theories, techniques (transitive).
    Subject verb object
    The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people.
    The active verb is "aim"
    to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people is an adverbial complement.

Compare
    He aims to be a millionaire by the time he is 30. (No object)
    with
    He aims the gun at the target (Object)
    the website has been managed by English mothertongues.
    Mothertongues? Is that a word?

Last edited:

boysenberryjam

English - North American
    It sounds OK to me. What other word would you replace develop with? Create, produce, spawn, mould, form…?

EDIT: Obviously develop is not being used intransitively here, since it does have a direct object.
    I tried so hard to avoid silly mistakes in my first question to WR, but obviously I didn't manage! You're right, of course, I meant transitively, not intransitively in that last sentence. Sorry! But I agree that there's not really a suitable word to put in its place. It would take a whole rewriting of the sentence to express the same idea.

Mothertongues? Is that a word?
    I evidently should have waited until after my coffee to post. Just a bit of linguistic attrition there, native speakers would have definitely been a better choice.

Anyway, my problem isn't with aim, it's with develop. It doesn't change much whether the phrase is "the programme aims to develop [...] students" or "the programme develops [...] students" - I find both odd. But apparently it's just me! Thanks for your input, everyone.

< Previous | Next >