ice cream novelties

< Previous | Next >

clio44

English Canada
Bonjour mes amis :)

I was wondering how to translate "ice cream novelties" in French..... I saw "novelty" was translated as "fantaisie" in adjective situations, but I was wondering if that would work for food like ice cream?

"glace de fantaisie"?

Also, does the "crème" get left off now? I learned "ice cream" long ago as "crème glacée" but now the first definition in wordreference in just "glace".....?

Merci pour toute votre aide!!

• pointvirgule

langue française
    Glaces de fantaisie or desserts glacés de fantaisie would sound right to me.

Crème glacée and glace are synonyms; the former is more commonly used in Canada, while Europeans prefer the latter.

lilielou

english
    in my french lessons i have always been taught une glace not the the creme bit so i don't think it is used anymore. hope this helps :) xxx

SergueiL

Français
    Characters in novels eat "crème glacée" but in the real life everybody have "glace".
    Say : "glace(s) fantaisie". If the novelty is about the flavour, you can say "parfum fantaisie"

clio44

English Canada
    Thanks SergueiL, the novelty is more about the ice cream delivery system ;) So, for example, ice cream novelties would include ice cream in cones, ice cream sandwiches, tartufo, ice cream cakes..... all the kinds of ice cream they make that isn't just in tubs. :)

pointvirgule

langue française
    Characters in novels eat "crème glacée" but in the real life everybody has "glace".
    Who died and made you the official spokesperson for the entire francophony?

Like I said in #2, crème glacée is used commonly in certain parts of the world, in real everyday life. :p
    May I also point out that the OP lives in Canada.

Last edited:

SergueiL

Français
    Who died and made you the official spokesperson for the entire francophony?
    Somebody needs to die to make me a spokesperson ? So please, wait until I die to be mine.
    Anyway, thank you for correcting my English, so kind of you. I can see you enjoyed. Next time, I won't forget to put smileys to make you understand where I am trying to be funny.

Like I said in #2, crème glacée is used commonly in certain parts of the world, in real everyday life. :p
    It was important to say that again, this information will help every student learning French in Canada or in French Canadian literature.

Your real name is not pointfinal ?

< Previous | Next >