Icelandic: A Life Less Ordinary

WoodenOx

English - USA
Hello,
This is my first post, so please forgive any missteps. I am trying to translate the phrase, "To live a life less ordinary" from English to Icelandic. My attempt at a literal translation yielded, "Líf Minna Venjulegt", however I don't think this is grammatically correct. Is there an Icelandic phrase that carries a similar meaning? Thanks in advance!

• Segorian

Icelandic & Swedish
    The normal Icelandic expression for ordinary life is ‘hversdagslegt líf’; to live an ordinary life is ‘(að) lifa hversdagslegu lífi’; and to live a less ordinary life/a life less ordinary is ‘(að) lifa minna hversdagslegu lífi’, admittedly a much clumsier phrase than the English one. It would be possible say this in other ways, too, but I have unfortunately only been able to come up with alternatives that are equally inelegant. If there is any context that you can provide it might be possible to suggest a better solution.

WoodenOx

English - USA
    It is meant to be poetic, hence the unusual phrasing. Is there an expression or phrase in Icelandic that carries a similar meaning without being a literal translation? Some similar expressions might be, "Live extraordinarily" or "Live life to the fullest". In this case, capturing the spirit of the phrase is more important than maintaining the exact words.

< Previous | Next >