Icelandic: pronunciation þ and ð

laurent485

Chinese
Hi everyone,

As the name of this thread indicates, I wish to know how to pronounce correctly the unique Icelandic þ and ð. Previously, I thought they were pronounced as in English thin and that. However, an article in wikipedia indicates that Icelandic þ and ð are different from their English counter-parts. According to wikipedia, Icelandic þ and ð are Voiceless/Voiced alveolar non-sibilant fricatives, while English th are voiceless/voiced dental fricatives. So could any Icelandic native speakers give me some idea about the way to correctly pronounce the Icelandic þ and ð? Thanks in advance.

• klandri

Icelandic
    Listening to the soundfile here for the voiced alveolar non-sibilant fricative I can tell you I have no idea what the wiki article is talking about when it says that sound exists in Icelandic. I see it cites two sources but they're either wrong or they're being mis- or over-interpreted. English þin and ðat are the correct sounds you should use.

Edit: or the soundfile is wrong, I'm no linguist and have no idea what a voiced alveolar non-sibilant fricative means without relying on the soundfile.

Last edited:

laurent485

Chinese
    Thanks for your timely response, Klandri. So according to you - an authentic Icelandic native speaker - the Icelandic þ and ð are pronounced exactly the same way as thin and that in English. Am I right?

< Previous | Next >