Icelandic: Saeunn (pronunciation?)

• Tjahzi

Swedish (Göteborg)
    I'm sorry, but do you really expect an answer when you don't even let us know WHICH LANGUAGE you want it pronounced in? Also, when you made up your mind on that, add that language to the topic title (like every other single thread that is to be found in this forum). Please.

Alxmrphi

UK English
    I'm sorry, but do you really expect an answer when you don't even let us know WHICH LANGUAGE you want it pronounced in? Also, when you made up your mind on that, add that language to the topic title (like every other single thread that is to be found in this forum). Please.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Such a pity my crystal ball isn't working this morning :p

sindridah

Icelandic
    Is it the name of some girl or something that you know?

And this "pronoun" is messed up, do you mean pronounce or pronoun? ( wich is confusing me because it doesn't make sense )

Anyway Sæunn is in Icelandic name, But i have no idea how to explain the prounounce. Maybe the others can help you out with this pronounce with this alphabet or what ever it's called

cheers

Tjahzi

Swedish (Göteborg)
    Hm, given that it's a name, and hence -(u)nn shouldn't be considered a definite suffix, why isn't it pronounced [saɪjutn]?

Also, I thought æ was officially transcribed as [ai] rather than [aɪ], but maybe I'm being too picky here...

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Hm, given that it's a name, and hence -(u)nn shouldn't be considered a definite suffix, why isn't it pronounced [saɪjutn]?
    Definite suffixes don't have the [tn] pronunciation.
    But, this isn't a definite suffix, it's a name derived from unnr (later unnur) - I believe, and doesn't carry the -tn- pronunciation (basically what I mean is it's not a definite suffix, but doesn't have that pronunciation, and an additional detail is that definite suffixes also don't have that pronunciation.

[tn] is generally something that happens after accented vowels / diphthongs, and some other sounds.

Also, I thought æ was officially transcribed as [ai] rather than [aɪ], but maybe I'm being too picky here...
    You're right about this :) I had forgotten about that fact, good spot!

Last edited:

Tjahzi

Swedish (Göteborg)
    I realize that I expressed myself somewhat cryptically here, I meant that since it couldn't be a definite suffix, it shouldn't be a pronounced [nn] (since I believed it was the only case where it wasn't pronounced [tn]). So, was that latter assumption incorrect, or was this an exception?

Also, how did you find out that Saeunn was derived from unnr? I'm curious. :eek:

< Previous | Next >