Icelandic: Tom. I.

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Silver_Biscuit, Feb 25, 2013.

  1. Silver_Biscuit

    Silver_Biscuit Senior Member

    English - UK

    This is from the same text as I asked about before. This is just a little thing, some sort of writing convention that I can't fathom.

    Does this perhaps mean Vol. I.? That's the only thing I can think of, but here I am certainly influenced by the English word tome. Any ideas?
  2. SkodaPony

    SkodaPony New Member

    Akureyri, Iceland
    Hmmm, I've never seen "Tom" used before.
  3. Alxmrphi Senior Member

    Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    It's (from what I can tell) what used to be used in Denmark to signal Volume (i.e. of a journal), yes. :)
    Fits perfectly with 19th century academic uses in Iceland.

    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

Share This Page