Ich besitze sowohl einen deutschen Pass

marbarak

English
Hi all,
I am a bit new in this forum, and hope that I post according to the rules. :)
I came across the text below in a web site, and I am not sure I understand, what it means.
Do you have to or is it just "better" to get into germany with your german passport, if you have two passports?

Thanks ahead,
Baraka

Ich besitze sowohl einen deutschen als auch einen amerikanischen Pass. Mit welchem Dokument soll ich nach Deutschland reisen?Nach internationalen Gepflogenheiten ist es üblich, dass Sie sich als (auch) Deutscher bei der Einreise nach Deutschland mit Ihrem deutschen Reisepass ausweisen. Für die Ausreise aus den USA und die dortige Wiedereinreise sollten Sie Ihren amerikanischen Pass verwenden.

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    marbarak said:
    Hi all,
    I am a bit new in this forum, and hope that I post according to the rules. :)
    I came across the text below in a web site, and I am not sure I understand, what it means.
    Do you have to or is it just "better" to get into germany with your german passport, if you have two passports?

Thanks ahead,
    Baraka

Ich besitze sowohl einen deutschen als auch einen amerikanischen Pass. Mit welchem Dokument soll ich nach Deutschland reisen?Nach internationalen Gepflogenheiten ist es üblich, dass Sie sich als (auch) Deutscher bei der Einreise nach Deutschland mit Ihrem deutschen Reisepass ausweisen. Für die Ausreise aus den USA und die dortige Wiedereinreise sollten Sie Ihren amerikanischen Pass verwenden.
    Hello, Baraka, and welcome to the forums. :)

You posted in the wrong forum, but that's ok. Your query will soon be moved to the German forum.

Here is a translation of your text:

I possess both a German and an American passport. With which document should I travel to Germany? According to international conventions it is usual for Germans to present their German passports as identification upon entry into Germany. When you travel out of or back to the United States, you should use your American passport.

Jana337

čeština
    marbarak said:
    Nach internationalen Gepflogenheiten ist es üblich, dass Sie sich als (auch) Deutscher bei der Einreise nach Deutschland mit Ihrem deutschen Reisepass ausweisen.
    Hi and welcome! :)

In fact, the English Only forum is just that - English only. I moved your post here, to the German forum.

The text says that the standard procedure is to use the German passport. It does not explicitly say that you have to, but, you know, it is the language of diplomats. I interpret it as a polite statement that you are required to show the German one.

But wait for other opinions.

Jana

Brioche

Australia English
    I thought that Germany allowed dual-nationality only up to age 23.

Then if you decide to stay German, you have to give up the other passport.

marbarak

English
    Hi Brioche

Actually, it depends on the nationalities mixture and, at what stage did you get the german citizenship.
    I think, that if you voluntarily apply for a citizenship of a different nation after you have the german one, your german nationality will be lost.
    The problem is that most of the documents the german goverment writes about those issues are, suprisingly enough :), in german.
    That leaves guys like me having to hire a german speaking lawyer to help me around.
    Oh well...
    Thanks anyway,
    Baraka

< Previous | Next >