Ich bin 32 Jahre alt.

screamerer

Arabic
Hallo, Guten Tag..,

In sentences of the pattern: Ich bin x Jahre alt:

-Is the adjective alt complement to the verb bin (/ist/sind/ .. .), i.e. alt sein?
-What's x Jahre's grammatical position there, is it modifying alt, and as such is part of the predicate (x Jahe alt sein)?

Danke.

• berndf

German (Germany)
    I see it like you. I would describe it as follows: x Jahre alt is a predicative adjective phrase with alt as the head adjective and x Jahre as an adverbial attribute.

screamerer

Arabic
    I see it like you. I would describe it as follows: x Jahre alt is a predicative adjective phrase with alt as the head adjective and x Jahre as an adverbial attribute.

Vielen Dank.

Can you please refer me to any English online resources that you know of, where I can read further about the topic of adverbial attributes?

berndf

German (Germany)
    The the WP article about adjective phrases. Adjective phrases with adverbs or adverbials attributing the had adjective are quite normal. I am not sure everybody would would use the term "attribute" in this context but the analogy to noun phrases with attributive adjectives is evident.

screamerer

Arabic
    The the WP article about adjective phrases. Adjective phrases with adverbs or adverbials attributing the had adjective are quite normal. I am not sure everybody would would use the term "attribute" in this context but the analogy to noun phrases with attributive adjectives is evident.

I've just looked at the Wikipedia article, and I believe I understand it fine. The only blurry point to me has been whether x Jahre was an adverb or a noun phrase there.. . It didn't feel like adverb to me - hence my confusion.. .

Danke schön.