Ich bin stolz auf dich.

< Previous | Next >

vaibhavm

Marathi
Das hast du gut gemacht. Ich bin stolz auf dich.

In above sentence, does the preposition auf behave differently rather than two way preposition?

• vaibhavm

Marathi
    But the adjective 'stolz' requires/governs 'auf+accusative case'.
    Does that mean, combine preposition adjecive or preposition verb (verb- auf jemanden warten, für jemanden halten) require their determined cases?

Last edited:

anahiseri

Spanish (Spain) and German (Germany)
    vaibhavm,
    I understand you want to analyze and have a complete picture of German verbs, but I think you are making things difficult for yourself. Perhaps it would be more useful to learn the structure for each verb, for the moment, and not try to deduce general rules.
    I'm sure when you have a larger vocabulary, as you keep improving your German, everything will fall in its place.

anahiseri

Spanish (Spain) and German (Germany)
    By the way: the expression

auf jemanden stolz sein / be proud of somebody

isn't about a verb; the verb is SEIN, BE, nothing special.
    in this expression you have to learn the combination

preposition + accusative + adjective + sein
    the same as in English:
    be + adjective + preposition + somebody

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    Does that mean, combine preposition adjecive or preposition verb (verb- auf jemanden warten, für jemanden halten) require their determined cases?
    Yes.
    Here (and here) you can find a list of verbs and adjectives with the preposition and the case they require respectively.

And here
    When two-way prepositions are used in combination with prepositional verbs/ adjectives [....] you need to learn for each prepositional verb individually whether it will be followed by nouns or pronouns in the accusative or in the dative.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >