Ich fange jeden Tag neu an / Ich rufe meinen Chef an. (Verben, präpositionale Ergänzung)

LittleLife2

Spanish - Spain
Hello,
I have a question regarding those verbs which "require" a preposition (Präpositionaler Ergänzung), such as anfangen + mit, anrufen + bei. The rule says that you can't use such verbs without their corresponding prepositions. However, is that true? I have come up with the following sentences:

- Ich fange jeden Tag neu an.
- Ich rufe meinen Chef an.

I have learned that an Objekt is always require by some verbs. Those are comprehensible sentences, and I haven't use mit nor bei. What am I missing or assuming?

Thank you!

• διαφορετικός

Swiss German - Switzerland
    Hello LittleLife2

I have a question regarding those verbs which "require" a preposition (Präpositionaler Ergänzung), such as anfangen + mit, anrufen + bei. The rule says that you can't use such verbs without their corresponding prepositions. However, is that true?
    The verbs "anfangen" and "anrufen" aren't such verbs.
    However if you want to express a certain meaning, the relevant preposition is required even for these verbs. If you omit the preposition, the meaning is changed.

I have come up with the following sentences:

- Ich rufe meinen Chef an.
    The following sentences have a different meaning:
    • "Ich fange mit jedem Tag neu an". This sentence is a little ambiguous, but in practice, the difference to your sentence is small. Here, "mit" (typically) has a different meaning than in the sentence "Ich fange mit der Arbeit an".
    • "Ich rufe bei meinem Chef an". The difference to your sentence is small. "Bei meinem Chef" means "at the place where my boss is" or "at the usual residence of my boss". P.S.: "anrufen" means "make the telephone ring", in "anrufen bei".

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    I have learned that an Objekt is always require by some verbs. Those are comprehensible sentences, and I haven't use mit nor bei.
    Both sentences are ok.
    "anfangen" can be transitive or intransitive (= without an object).

This sentence can be read as "Every day, I start again/ I take a new start." - here, the verb is intransitive ("jeden Tag" isn't the object of "anfangen", but an adverb of time).

[1] Morgen fange ich einen neuen Artikel an. - here, the verb is transitive - "einen neuen Artikel" is the "direct" object (accusative).

Or you can say: "Ich fange jetzt mit der Arbeit an." - "mit der Arbeit" is a "Präpositionale Ergänzung"

Last edited: