ich habe geschlafen, ich bin gelaufen [Perfekt]

ShadyWolf

English - US
Hello,

I understand that the perfect tense of "schlafen" would taken "haben," as with "Ich habe geschlafen." It's also my understanding that "schlafen" is an intransitive verb as it cannot take an object. On the other hand, it's "Ich bin gelaufen." I understand "laufen" as well to be an intransitive verb.

I am having difficulty grasping the distinction between laufen and schlafen here. My questions are thus:

1. Isn't "schlafen" a change in condition or status?

2. If "schlafen" not is not a change in condition or status, then is there some guidance as to why it is not?

3. If it is, why does it not fall under the same concept of change in location or status/condition akin to "laufen," taking sein rather than haben?

Thank you for the time.

• Alemanita

German, Germany
    1. Isn't "schlafen" a change in condition or status?

2. If "schlafen" not is not a change in condition or status, then is there some guidance as to why it is not?

The change of condition or status is expressed by "einschlafen" (to fall asleep). This takes "sein".

ShadyWolf

English - US
    Hi,

Indeed. It's a distinction that always interested me.

I suppose it could be said accurately then that German just doesn't consider schlafen itself to be a change in condition or status?

Thank you for the time!

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    The change of condition or status is expressed by "einschlafen" (to fall asleep).
    :thumbsup:
    See here

What are Verbs of Change of State?
    Verbs of Change of State express when a subject’s state changes from ‚State A‘ to ‚State B‘! Here are a few examples (all sentences in the table are in the present tense):

learn German grammar perfect tense sein

Hutschi

Hi, the contrary to "einschlafen" is "erwachen" (poetic) or "aufwachen" (default), the contrary to "schlafen" is "wach sein" ("wachen" is possible, but in most context it has another meaning.)
    "Ich habe geschlafen" includes a status change at the end of sleeping.

You can extent the table:

Er schläft - er erwacht/wacht auf) - er ist wach.