Ich hoffe (darauf) / Ich denke (darauf) ...

Germanlernen1

Polish
Is using "daran" or "darauf" incorrect? My books would always insist on adding it to certain verbs.

I hope it's good - Ich hoffe, es is gut / Ich hoffe, dass es gut ist / Ich hoffe darauf, dass es gut ist.

I think you're right - Ich denke, du hast Recht / Ich denke, dass du Recht hast / Ich denke darauf, dass du Recht hast

If I add "daran" or "darauf", does the sentence become incorrect in terms of grammar or just a bit awkward in terms of everyday communication/language usage? I thought these were obligatory to make it grammatically perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Kajjo

Ich hoffe, es is gut / Ich hoffe, dass es gut ist / Ich hoffe darauf, dass es gut ist.
    No, the "darauf" is not necessary and in contemporary German not idiomatic.
    I think you're right - Ich denke, du hast Recht / Ich denke, dass du Recht hast / Ich denke darauf, dass du Recht hast
    Here the "darauf" is simply wrong.
    I thought these were obligatory to make it grammatically perfect
    Definitely not.

manfy

German - Austria
    So its better to say „Ich freue mich, Sie zu sehen” instead of „Ich freue mich darauf, Sie zu sehen”?
    That depends on context!

If you're greeting people personally, you say: „Ich freue mich, Sie zu sehen” ("darauf" would be wrong here!)
    If somebody says on the phone they will come and see you next week, you say: „Ich freue mich darauf, Sie zu sehen”

Kajjo

Ich freue mich, Sie zu sehen”
    You see the other and greet him: Ich freue mich, Sie zu sehen! (Nice to meet you!)

Note the question with "über":
    Worüber / Über was freust du dich jetzt gerade? Darüber, Dich zu sehen!

Ich freue mich darauf, Sie zu sehen”
    You are alone or at the phone and anticipate to meet him at a later time. (I look forward to meeting you!)

Note the question:
    Worauf freust du dich? Ich freue mich darauf, dich zu sehen (dich später/morgen zu treffen).