Ich spüre Liebe zu dir. / Ich habe Liebesgefühle für dich.

< Previous | Next >

sois_sage

English - United States
Hello! I find it difficult to understand the difference in intensity of various expressions of love in German. I know, for instance, that in a romantic context, "ich habe dich lieb" is weaker than "ich liebe dich". Recently, I was confronted with two statements that I'm attempting to interpret:

1. Ich spüre Liebe zu dir.
2. Ich habe Liebesgefühle für dich.

I would literally translate both of these phrases as "I feel love for you". However, I find that translation to be a bit vague and would rather formulate it a bit differently. Therefore, I would like some input regarding the intensity of feelings expressed by these phrases. Are both expressions equal in intensity? Are they equivalent to "ich liebe dich" or rather to "ich habe dich lieb"?

(Germany/Südbaden)

• sois_sage

English - United States
    Both phrases sound rather stilted and unnatural, almost technical.
    Totally agree, hence the difficulty in interpreting them and finding a suitable translation.

I can see no intensity of feelings in any of them. They just convey facts in a weird way.
    Nevertheless, the phrasing exists and I have to do something with them.

Would "I have feelings for you" work, then? The phrase is still ambiguous in English, but I suppose the German phrases are as well?
    Sorry, what does this indication mean? Are you in Südbaden at the moment? Did you hear/read those sentences in Südbaden?

Can you please mention the source and the context?
    The speakers are from Südbaden.

I'm translating transcriptions of a series of dialogs for a project.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kajjo

Are both expressions equal in intensity? Are they equivalent to "ich liebe dich" or rather to "ich habe dich lieb"?
    Certainly, such weird phrasings in German intentionally try to avoid the "magic line" of simple and deep "Ich liebe dich / I love you".

So, no, I don't think they are equivalent at all. They are technical, distanced and less sure about the feelings.

1. Ich spüre Liebe zu dir.
    I feel love towards you.

Equally weird in German and English, but quite close, I believe.

Ich habe Liebesgefühle für dich.
    I have feelings of love for you.

Equally weird in German and English, but quite close, I believe.

< Previous | Next >