I'd better get a good grade on this paper

< Previous | Next >

GeogeHalin

Japanese
Hello everyone.

It's History class. Today is the due date of our essays. So the teacher calls out our names one by one to receive our papers. It's not my turn yet, so I'm holding my paper and say to my friend, "
I'd better get a good grade on this paper, otherwise, my mom is going to kill me."

Is that okay? It sounds a bit odd to me. I think we might say this, but not in this case. We might say this when a teacher assigns a homework to us, and we say this before we start working on the paper.
But if that's the case, what do I say instead? I can't think of one.

Please help!
Thanks!

• suzi br

English / England
    This sounds very idiomatic to me. :)
    You could say it before you start the work too, it works fine at any time, even when the teacher is handing back the marked work!

suzi br

English / England
    If the teacher is hand back the marked papers, can I just say that without changing anything, like tenses?
    Yes, when she is handing back the papers your wish is still the same! You don't know what the grade is.

OR
    You could also think that since the grade has been awarded you could modify the tenses and say
    "I had better have got a good mark ... "

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Yes, when she is handing back the papers your wish is still the same! You don't know what the grade is.

OR
    You could also think that since the grade has been awarded you could modify the tenses and say
    "I had better have got a good mark ... "
    In this context, BE have got = AE have gotten.

< Previous | Next >