I'd just as soon...as to...

Russkiy Bear

Russian
1) I'd just as soon go home - Does it mean I prefer to go home? or Something is just as fine as something esle (like #2)?
2) I'd just as soon go home as go to party. - Does it mean either thing is good?

Last edited:
  • Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    1) I'd just as soon go home - Does it mean I prefer to go home?
    Yes, it does,

2) I'd just as soon go home as go to the party. Does it mean either thing is good?
    Well, I don't know about "good", but either is as acceptable as the other, as far as the speaker is concerned. (He or she may not like either possibility very much.)

Russkiy Bear

Russian
    1) What If you've discussed the possiblity of going to the party already and decided that it's an option too. And then some of us say I'd just as soon go home
    Does this mean the same as #2?

2)
    So it's always kind of negative? You don't find both of them interesting?

Myridon

English - US
    2) So it's always kind of negative? You don't find both of them interesting?
    When there's no context, it's hard to imagine the full meaning of a sentence.
    I thought we were going to the movies not to that party at my ex-girlfriend's parents' house. I'd rather go home (do nothing) than go to the party (where I'll be very uncomfortable -negative).
    I'm not as interested in the party as I am in the game we could play at home. I'd rather go home (and play the game - positive) than go to the party (also positive).