I'd like to welcome you to come back.

stephenlearner

Chinese
Hi,

When a visitor is ready to leave my house, I say:
I'd like to welcome you to come again;

Does only the first sentence sound natural?

I often hear people say "welcome back", so I don't know whether the second sentence is OK or not.

Thank you.

• tehtmc

Chinese
    I'd like to welcome you to come again;

They are not natural.

When the visitor is about to leave : Do come again.
    You welcome somebody back when the person returns from somewhere, not when he/she visits you again.

Neither sounds natural to me. Actually I'm not sure how to say that. Most of the time I just hear "see you soon".

"Welcome back" is said to someone who just returned from somewhere else. For example, you can say "welcome back" to a friend who just came back from a vacation. It's not used in the scenario you described.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I also don't find the examples in the OP idiomatic.

One could, however, use "welcome back here", when departing: You are welcome back here anytime.

stez

english - australia
    I agree that they don't sound natural. Tehtmc's suggestion (Do come again) is quite correct but sounds very formal in a BE way. 'Please come again' is probably a little less formal.

stephenlearner

Chinese
    If I visit somebody's house and when I am ready to leave, I say: I'd like to welcome you to come to my house.
    Does it, as an invitation, sound natural?

stez

english - australia
    If I visit somebody's house and when I am ready to leave, I say: I'd like to welcome you to come to my house.
    Does it, as an invitation, sound natural?
    I would say: 'I'd like to invite you to my house' or 'You are welcome to come to my house'.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I couldn't talk about welcoming someone to my house when I was still in somebody else's home. For me that would not be a natural way of inviting someone. First I invite them, then when they turn up on my doorstep I welcome them.

If they are talking about coming to my home town I might, like stez, say: "You are welcome to come and visit me in Athens any time - just give me a call first."

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Thank you, perpend.
    If this is normal, why is I'd like to welcome you to come again in the original post not normal?
    Is it a cultural issue?
    You are cherry-picking in your posts. I would suggest you reread.

"I'd like to welcome you to come again" remains unidiomatic for me.

stephenlearner

Chinese
    In the OP, I'd like to welcome you to come again, does not work.
    In the later post, I'd like to welcome you to come to my house, works.

I can't see the reason why the first is wrong and the second is right.

< Previous | Next >