I'd like you guys to figure out what's on Eve's mind.

Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
Suppose you're playing 20 questions and you are to present what the game is about and you go like:

- I'd like you guys to figure out what's on Eve's mind.

How does it sound?

Thank you!

• pepperfire

Canada - English & French
    no... not quite... I'd like you to try and guess what Eve is thinking by asking 20 questions...

I assume it's instructions for the game, right?

Trisia

Romanian
    Well, if everybody already knows that you're playing 20 Questions, I agree with Biblio that it's understandable.

I would also probably use "... what Eve's thinking (of)" but "what's on her mind" is fine by me.

pepperfire

Canada - English & French
    It doesn't have the same meaning... Having something on your mind would be in reference to thinking about something but when playing the game 20 questions, you wouldn't say it like that, because it's a specific thing that the game leader is thinking about.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Egoexpress: your original sentence would be acceptable as an introduction to a more detailed explanation of the rules. It would likely be too vague otherwise.

"I'd like you to guess what the person is thinking (of/about)" would be idiomatic.

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    "I'd like you to..." sounds like a teacher giving instructions to kids. If I were playing a game with friends, I'd say something more like "Ok, 20 questions: What's Eve thinking of?" meaning that we're going to play the game Twenty Questions and the objective is to find out what person/place/thing/concept Eve has decided on for the game.

"Figure out what's on Eve's mind" sounds like an instruction to go talk to Eve and find out why she seems depressed.

< Previous | Next >