'I'd love being able to' or 'I'd love to be able to'?

Sotis

Russian
Hello,

I've come across the sentence 'I'd love being able to sleep late at weekends' in the New English File Intermediate Student's Book by Clive Oxenden and Christina Latham-Koenig, p. 135. Is it grammatically correct? As far as I know, 'would love' and 'would like' are always followed by the infinitive with to, not by gerund. But maybe it is possible to say 'I'd love being able to' anyway? Can anybody explain it to me?

Thank you in advance,
Sotis

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Sotis. That rule you heard doesn't sound quite right to me. Although I prefer the infinitive, I think it is possible to use a gerund after "love" or "like": I would love eating two gallons of ice cream in one sitting. It is certainly possible to use "love" with a noun like "spinach", so I can't think of any reason to forbid the use of a gerund after "love".

Last edited:

Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    Hullo.

Maybe it's not a matter of verb (love) but rather of tense of the verb: I suspect "I lovED being able to ..." would be correct.
    "BeING able to sleep late at weekends" works as a noun: [(be able to sleep late at weekends) ING] thanks to the presence of the nominalizing suffix ING.
    This turns the virtual concept "Be able to sleep late at weekends" into an actual event in the past of the speaker. As such, it can be evaluated by means of a verb like love, hate, detest, like, loathe, etc.
    Conversely, it's hard to imagine the possibility to evaluate an event which has not yet taken place (* I'd love being able to ...), which in fact is expressed by means of the (to) infinitive.

GS :)

Sotis

Russian
    Hello, Owlman. Thank you so much for your reply. However, I never claimed it was impossible to use the gerund after 'love' or 'like'. My question was about the phrases 'would like' and 'would love'. I was taught never to use gerund if the words love/ like are preceded by the modal verb 'would', so I was astonished when I saw this example in the book. On the other hand, the authors might have made a mistake. That is why I wanted to understand if I can really say 'I would like being able to...' or it is just a misprint in the book.

Sotis

Russian
    Thank you so much, fsm! Your opinion is very important to me. The authors probably made a mistake in the book, which happens sometimes, for we are all human.

owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Owlman. Thank you so much for your reply. However, I never claimed it was impossible to use the gerund after 'love' or 'like'. My question was about the phrases 'would like' and 'would love'. I was taught never to use gerund if the words love/ like are preceded by the modal verb 'would', so I was astonished when I saw this example in the book. On the other hand, the authors might have made a mistake. That is why I wanted to understand if I can really say 'I would like being able to...' or it is just a misprint in the book.
    That rule sounds even stranger and more unlikely than the one I thought you were talking about. Are you sure that somebody told you to "never use a gerund if 'love' or 'like' is preceded by a modal verb?" I've certainly never heard such advice before.

Sotis

Russian
    Hello, Owlman. This rule they usually teach in all elementary books (I want to do <something>, I like doing <something>, I'd like to do <something>). Maybe, I shouldn't have written 'modal verbs'; it might be the rule about 'would' only. For example, on Seonaid Beckwith's website there is a list of verbs followed by the infinitives or gerunds, and she also has an example 'would love to come': http://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/support-files/gerund_infinitive_verbs_list.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >