I'd not say no....

< Previous | Next >

Torah.Y

Chinese
I'm reading the book of Harry Potter I. I have seen the movie before, and now I read the book again and to learn English at the same time.

In Chapter 4, Hagrid said one sentence:

"What about that tea then, eh?"..."I'd not say no to something stronger if you've got it, mind."

I can't understand the meaning of the latter part, what does the stronger mean in here? the favor of the tea? of the person? And if you've got "what"?? And what's the spoken meaning of the "mind" here??

Hope someone nice can help me~~~~3Q.^^.

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    If you offered me some (stronger-tasting drink), I would not say no. I would accept something stronger.
    This is a polite way to say "This is rather weak drink, and I would prefer something stronger."

"mind" is short for "mind you" which, in this context, means "by the way"

Torah.Y

Chinese
    <<Moderator note. Welcome to the forum. You will find helpful guidance (on how to post) in the first sticky thread. For example, you will learn that SMS and chatspeak, even Chinese forms, are not allowed in the English only forum>>

Sorry. Thank you for your reminder.
    I'll go to see the thread and to obey the rule of the forum from now on.....

And by the way, what's function of the third button that lies below the each post.?

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    <<Moderator note. Welcome to the forum. You will find helpful guidance (on how to post) in the first sticky thread. For example, you will learn that SMS and chatspeak, even Chinese forms, are not allowed in the English only forum>>
    Sorry. Thank you for your reminder.
    I'll go to see the thread and to obey the rule of the forum from now on.....

And by the way, what's function of the third button that lies below the each post.?
    I think you are referring to the "mulitple quote" button. Click it on more than one post, then click on the "Reply to Thread" box on the left at the bottom of the page. It allows you to quote more than one person, which I have done here to show you.

< Previous | Next >