I'd rather pass a kidney stone than another night with you.

< Previous | Next >

Ocham

Japanese
I know the medical meaning of the underlined part, but I don't
understand what it suggests in this context. Does it suggest
anything painful because the operation of passing a kidney stone
is accompanied by great pain?

I'd rather pass a kidney stone than another night with you.

Last edited:
  • boozer

Bulgarian
    I do not think this is an operation, actually. I imagine this is the natural process of the kidney stone coming out of the body, which happens to be painful, they say. Your understanding sounds right to me, otherwise. Any comparison associated with pain, disgust, etc., would work - I would rather eat a frog than spend another night with you...

As boozer says, there is no operation mentioned. One "passes" (in one's urination) a stone by having it come out the urethra. The whole process is hellishly painful. The title is pungent and witty, in my opinion.

ADDED.
    As other posters such as se16 have noted, below, the earlier stage of 'passing' the stone, when it proceeds from kidney via ureter to the bladder is the most painful part, I'm told. I stand corrected.

Last edited:

se16teddy

English - England
    In my considerable experience, it is the passage of the stone from the kidney to the bladder that is the very painful bit, not its further transit. However, I am familiar with the expression I'd rather pass a stone, meaning it is something I would avoid at all costs. Also "he looked like he'd passed a stone", referring to a pained or transfixed facial expression.

Last edited:

Andygc

British English
    A nice little play with words, and I disagree a little with bennymix. The traditional meaning of passing a stone is its transit from the kidney to the outside world, and as se16teddy says, it's the first stage that is the really painful part.

Ocham, I'm not sure if you understood this fully, so if not: the sentence means "I'd rather pass a kidney stone than pass another night with you." It's playing on two different meanings of "to pass".

< Previous | Next >