I'd walk through the snow barefoot/If you'd open up your door

< Previous | Next >

Lightie

Russian
Hello! Why in her song "Barefoot" does KD Lang sing "I'd walk through the snow barefoot if you'd open up your door" with two "woulds"? As far as I understand it is the 2nd Conditional and grammatically it should be "I'd walk through the snow barefoot if you OPENED up your door". Is it not "would", or is it some special effect, or is it not conditional? Thank you!

• wandle

English - British
    It is a future closed (hypothetical) conditional, also called 'second conditional'. It appears different because of the two 'woulds', but here the second 'would' is the past tense form of 'will' meaning 'be willing to'.

Thus the sentence means 'I would walk through the snow barefoot if you were willing to open up your door'.

Lightie

Russian
    Thank you!

Ok, here is what I've found in one of the books:

We do not normally use will, would or should in an if-clause. However, we can use will,
    would, should in conditionals to make a request or express insistence, annoyance, doubt
    or uncertainty. If you will/would calm down for a minute, I will be able to help you. (request - Will
    you please calm down?)
    If you will make that noise, I'll send you out. (inSistence - If you insist on making that noise ... )
    If you will take my iPod again without asking, I'll never lend you anything. (annoyance - If you do
    that again, I'll be vel}' annoyed.)
    If you should need any help, ask me. (uncertainty - I am not sure you will need help.)

Here it's uncertainty, I think. A rather usual usage for me, ok, I should get used to it.

< Previous | Next >