I'd welcome the opportunity to meet with you

azélla

Turkish - Cyprus
Hello.

I applied to a job and they now ask for an interview tomorrow. Are the sentences below grammatically and logically correct?

"I would welcome the opportunity to meet with you and to discuss my qualifications in more detail. I will contact you tomorrow (29/11/2017) at 3pm (Greece time) via Skype to inquire about whether you need additional information".

Since they have offered a skype interview, does it make sense to write "I would welcome the opportunity.."?

Thank you in advance.

• boozer

Bulgarian
    That 'would' there makes it sound as though you have not made up your mind yet whether or not you actually welcome the opportunity. :)

cando

English - British
    That 'would' there makes it sound as though you have not made up your mind yet whether or not you actually welcome the opportunity. :)
    I would respectfully disagree :). In BrE , using 'would' in such a context does not have the effect of making you sound undecided, but makes the message sound polite and in the form of a request rather than assuming that the other person is going to agree to meet you. The OP's text is exactly how I write such emails.

boozer

Bulgarian
    I would respectfully disagree :).
    Respect is more important than some minor (or major :D ) disagreement. This 'would' is excellent because it is meant to soften the terrible blow of disagreement :)

Yes, I know 'would' always adds a touch of politeness, but must we be so tentative and polite when really breaking some excellent news people actually hope to hear? I thought such politeness was a little too much in this context, to the point of being potentially confusing.

But, no, I am not really arguing, just voicing my thoughts...

sound shift

English - England
    You don't "meet" other people on Skype. When you say "I would welcome the opportunity to meet with you", are you proposing an interview in person, in addition to the Skype interview?

< Previous | Next >