identical

coconutpalm

Chinese,China
In Charles Dickens' "A Tale of Two Cities", the two men falling in love with the same girl are identically the same, but you can still distinguish between them because they have quite different "..."
I'm trying to find a word to say that you can easily tell who is who because they have different background, different experiences and maybe different beliefs and they have different "..." ?
Could you help me?

• ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    coconutpalm , I would say something like
    "the have identical looks/look identical but you can.... because of the different lives they've led".

If you really need a single word to describe their differences, just use "background", it covers a lot.

(you should wait for some native speakers to give their opinions too :) )

CatStar

English, Ireland
    ireney said:
    I would say something like
    "the have identical looks/look identical but you can.... because of the different lives they've led".
    I agree with ireney, the above example sounds better than trying to encapsulate the idea in one word.

But if you must only use one word then background works.
    Characteristics would fit also.

Cat

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Based on your suggestion of "air," could "demeanor" be the word you're looking for?

coconutpalm

Chinese,China
    LRV,
    I'm looking for something outside , something that helps you tell A from B at the first glance. Personalities, um, I think is more inside. Am I right?
    Could you please think of another word that you believe is most appropriate?

coconutpalm said:
    LRV,
    I'm looking for something outside , something that helps you tell A from B at the first glance. Personalities, um, I think is more inside. Am I right?
    Could you please think of another word that you believe is most appropriate?

Hi Coconut Palm,

Yes, personality comes from inside the person and isn't always evident until the person speaks.

I can't really think of anything better than demeanour, but I wonder if "mannerisms" would fit. Mannerisms are easily seen.

LRV

viera

English/French/Slovak
    May I suggest a correction to your original sentence?

"are identically the same" is redundant; you are saying the same thing twice. You should say either "are identical" or "are the same", but not both at once.

coconutpalm

Chinese,China
    viera said:
    May I suggest a correction to your original sentence?

"are identically the same" is redundant; you are saying the same thing twice. You should say either "are identical" or "are the same", but not both at once.
    Thank you for your suggestion!:)
    Then being identical means only having the same features?

coconutpalm said:
    Thank you for your suggestion!:)
    Then being identical means only having the same features?

Strictly speaking, Coconut Palm, identical means exactly the same.

I saw my friend wearing some new shoes. They were identical to the pair I bought last week.

Mrs. Brown has identical twins. I can't tell which one is which, they are so alike!

In your context, identical only means having the same features.

LRV

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    I just want to point out that "demeanor" and "mannerisms" aren't exactly the same (they're not identical in meaning! :p )

"Demeanor" has more to do with the way one carries himself, even without necessarily doing something in particular.

"Mannerisms" has more to do with certain things the person does, and how he does them.

They have different connotations. Choose the one that's more suitable for your context.

coconutpalm

Chinese,China
    Wow, it's amazing that you can provide so many words!
    I think bearing is probably the word I'm fingding. Yet it's great to learn so many new words.
    Thanks again. I really appreciate your help!

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    I still prefer "demeanor" to "bearing." They mean more or less the same thing but I'd say "demeanor" is a little bit more common.

coconutpalm

Chinese,China
    elroy said:
    I still prefer "demeanor" to "bearing." They mean more or less the same thing but I'd say "demeanor" is a little bit more common.
    I prefer "bearing" to "demeanor" because I think the former is closer to what I would express in Chiness.
    Thanks for your suggestion!

< Previous | Next >