Identitätsort der Gesellschaft.

sedmont

English -- USA
Does the translation seem correct? Thank you for any help.

Damit wird das Individuum zum neuen Identitätsort der Gesellschaft.

With that the individual becomes the new locus of the society's identity.

• sedmont

English -- USA
    Thanks very much, Kajjo. Before I can decide between the two translations, I need to know if you judge that they mean the same thing. If they do mean the same thing, then I would pick mine as clearer in meaning. If the two translations do not mean the same thing, then I would probably pick your translation.

Kajjo

Well, there is a difference between the two versions, isn't it? In English as well as in German. However, the overall semantic difference is little.

society's locus of identity = which (locus of identity) the society has
    locus of society's identity = which locus the (identity of the society) has

It is possible to express both in German and the second version would even be more idiomatic, more fluent. The author choose an unsual way of phrasing. The term "Identitätsort" is an uncommon on-the-fly compound noun.

society's locus of identity
    Identitätsort der Gesellschaft

locus of society's identity
    Ort der gesellschaftlichen Identität

sedmont

English -- USA
    Kajjo, thanks very much.

The English phrase "society's locus of identity" (SLOI) seems like it could mean two different things:

1) it could mean "the location of society's identity" (LOSI) or

2) it could refer to something like: the location in society where people find their own identity, or where people find the "identity" of existence in general (whatever that means).

If in the original intention of the German author, SLOI means the same as LOSI, then I would use LOSI, because in English LOSI has one meaning, whereas SLOI suggests the two different meanings and is thus ambiguous.

But if SLOI definitely does not mean the same as LOSI in the German author's mind, then I could not use LOSI, since it would not be what the author said, and I would have to use SLOI, which he said, despite it's unfortunate ambiguity.

What do you think?

Last edited:

bearded

Hello
    I'd go for ''society's locus of identity'' in the 1)LOSI meaning. I don't think that it can be ''the location in society..''. And 'locus' is but a figurative location, similar to 'focus/nexus' (my opinion).
    In my interpretation, the overall meaning of the sentence is: ''with that, society has now become individualistic''.

sedmont

English -- USA
    bearded, thanks.

I agree the general meaning is "society has become individualistic" -

I'm not clear if you prefer SLOI or LOSI. Good point about focus, which perhaps should be substituted in.

I wonder if Damit wird das Individuum zum neuen Identitätsort der Gesellschaft basically means:
    "Thus the individual becomes the new place that identifies/reveals what the society is (its identity).
    or even
    "Thus the individual becomes as it were the society's new I.D.

Last edited:

Kajjo

I wonder about the context. Do you have the sentence before and after the title statement?

As stated before, I believe the difference between the two options depicted in #4 is very small, so you might go with your initial suggestion.

< Previous | Next >