Ideophones

• Hulalessar

English - England
    I have just been reading a book in which the author talks about ideophones in Korean. At first I thought the idea was a bit far-fetched and then that perhaps there was something in it.

Humans are programmed to see patterns in things and sometimes patterns are seen where none exists, cf ley lines. What I am wondering is how tight the correlations are. Say someone decides that in a language ti connotes smallness and they produce a list of words containing ti which can reasonably be associated with smallness. Is anyone checking to see (a) how many words there are with ti in them which do not connote smallness and (b) how many words there are which connote smallness which do not contain ti? If in either case the number is significant does it undermine the concept of ideophones?

Circunflejo

Castellano de Castilla
    Say someone decides that in a language ti connotes smallness and they produce a list of words containing ti which can reasonably be associated with smallness. Is anyone checking to see (a) how many words there are with ti in them which do not connote smallness and (b) how many words there are which connote smallness which do not contain ti?
    Most likely. You just have to propose a theory or point of view to find people trying to prove otherwise.
    If in either case the number is significant does it undermine the concept of ideophones?
    It may undermine not so much the concept of ideophones but the specific proposed/suggested ideophone and basically only in case a.

Hulalessar

English - England
    I haven't really got into the subject, but I sort of have the feeling that you can find ideophones if you want to. Are they on as solid ground as, say, Semitic trilateral roots? Indeed, are ideophones and roots eiusdem generis?

< Previous | Next >