Idiom for complete sleepiness?

< Previous | Next >

Lun-14

Banned
Hindi
Hi,

There is an idiom for the person who sleep all night long consistently: Sleep like a baby

I wonder if there is an idiom for a person who doesn't sleep even a minute (or for seconds) the whole night - complete sleepiness.

Thanks a lot

• owlman5

English-US
    I'm not sure how widespread the expression is, but I've heard people say "I'm walking around like a zombie today" when they haven't had any sleep the night before. People also sometimes say "I'm completely wiped/zonked out" with the same meaning.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I wonder if there is an idiom for a person who doesn't sleep even a minute (or for seconds) the whole night - complete sleepiness.
    I think you meant 'sleeplessness', without sleep.
    I don't think that 'sleep like a baby' means 'to sleep all night'. It means to sleep very soundly for a certain amount of time. Absolutely the worst thing about babies is that they do not sleep all night.

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    If they were awake all night they were sleepless. If they are tired as a result of being awake all night they will by sleepy. It's not clear which state you are referring to. I assume you want an equivalent of "a sleepless night" and suggest: "I had a wakeful/restless night" or "I suffered from insomnia"

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I see what you mean, owl. It's not clear to me and apparently not to my little ripper either.

I forgot to mention 'sleep like a log' for sleeping soundly all night.

'I didn't sleep a wink all night so this morning I feel totally zonked/knackered' and several other slang terms for 'exhausted'.

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    Someone said to me that 'sleep like a baby' and 'sleep like a log' are the same - i.e., to sleep soundly all night. I am just looking for an idiom that is completely reverse of it, i.e., to not to sleep at all - to keep awaken all night - as if the person has an insomnia. And yes, Hermione, you are right - I meant sleeplessness; not sleepiness.

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    Thanks, Hermione. Can you please explain the difference between "sleep like a baby" and "sleep like a log" to me,,? I have been considering them being the same.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    Can you please explain the difference between "sleep like a baby" and "sleep like a log" to me,,? I have been considering them being the same.
    Hello Lun,

I'd say they're pretty much the same, in that they both mean "sleep very soundly (or very deeply)" — and, as Hermione said in #4, not necessarily all night, nor even for any particular length of time, unless that's specifically mentioned.

If there's a difference, it would be down to personal interpretation rather than any universally accepted definition. For me, 'sleeping like a baby' carries the idea of sleeping peacefully, contentedly, free of all worries. Whereas 'sleeping like a log' might be associated with being totally exhausted, and probably difficult to wake (just as a log would be, being inanimate!). But on many occasions the two expressions could well be used interchangeably.

Ws

< Previous | Next >