IEEE is the trusted voice

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
If "IEEE is the trusted voice" were written as "IEEE is the trusted entity", what is the difference?

The former sounds more vivid to me. But the latter appears to be technically correct. I am not sure.

IEEE is the world’s largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. Through its highly cited publications, conferences, technology standards, and professional and educational activities, IEEE is the trusted voice in a wide variety of areas ranging from aerospace systems, computers, and telecommunications to biomedical engineering, electric power, and consumer electronics.

Source:2 June 2019
Statement Update: IEEE Lifts Restrictions on Editorial and Peer Review Activities

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    IEEE represents the electrical engineering profession by speaking (metaphorically; most of their "speech" is in writing, online and on paper) to the public and to other audiences on these topics.

Cross-posted.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Is "the trusted entity" wrong there?
    I wouldn't say it's wrong, at least as regards language and grammar. It's self-serving, since it says there are no other trusted voices on these topics, but no more self-serving than a lot of what many other organizations write about themselves. If you think that makes it wrong as regards content and meaning, you may be right, but that's not a language issue.

Myridon

English - US
    "Trusted entity" has a specific meaning in computer security. It seems very vague if you just mean "person or organization." (IEEE is the trusted "thing-a-ma-bob". ;))

< Previous | Next >