if any

< Previous | Next >

Nsonia

tunisia (arabic, french, english, spanish, basic italian)
Hi all,
I am often confused :confused: with the use of the expression "if any" in the press. It is either placed at the beginning of the sentence : " If any, ....", or at the end : "...., if any."
what does it mean?
thanks for your help:thumbsup:
Nsonia.

• belén

Spanish, Spain, Catalan, Mallorca
    Hi Nsonia,

Your question should be placed in the ENGLISH ONLY Forum, in order to get an appropriate answer. I have asked one of the Culture moderators to move your thread to that forum and it will be done within today.

Thank you,
    Belén

Lancel0t

Philippines - Filipino/English
    I am not a native English speaker. But I will try to help you.

If any of you are not in favor with my decision, you may leave now.
    -> shows doubt that maybe some or more are not in favor with the decision.

Anyone who is not in favor with my decision may leave now, if any.
    -> shows certainty that most of them are in favor although there are few exceptions.

Hope this helps. (any corrections are welcome.)

PS
    NSONIA, next time you ask question regarding english usage, please post to the ENGLISH ONLY FORUM just like what Belen mentioned. :)

Carlos Martínez Riera

Spain / Spanish
    Nsonia said:
    Hi all,
    I am often confused :confused: with the use of the expression "if any" in the press. It is either placed at the beginning of the sentence : " If any, ....", or at the end : "...., if any."
    what does it mean?
    Nsonia.
    Something like:
    should there be any

In French (in case you speak some), would be something like:
    En cas d'exister

Example:
    Rotten pieces of fruit woill be taken apart, if any
    Should there be any rotten pieces of fruit....
    If there were any rotten pieces, these will be taken apart

Hope it is clear.

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Nsonia said:
    Hi all,
    what does it mean?
    Nsonia.
    "If anyone here has some objection to this man and woman getting married, let him speak now, or forever hold his peace." ;)

"If any" means "in case there is any".

"SARS to Have Limited if Any Impact on China's Economic Growth"
    (this is the title of a newspaper article)

"If any" means "supposing that there will be any". In other words, if there is an impact it will be small, and there may be no impact at all.

I hope this helps.
    :)

jacinta

USA English
    Here are a few more examples of "if any":

My mother has few, if any, magazines at home.

There is a slight chance, if any, that the Democrats will unite in future decision-making.

I will only give you one, if any, homework assignment this week because next week is Spring break.

In these above sentences, if any gives the possibility that there will be none.

If any of you would like to get a drink of water, I'd suggest you do it now.

If any of you don't understand, please ask questions.

These sentences have the straight-forward meaning of "if there is any person".

I hope this helps.

Nsonia

Hi Group,

My apology to :
    1. Belen for having unappropriately included my question in cultural matters;
    2. to the Group for not having given context to the use of "if any" .
    these are trivial mistakes of a "junior" member (given my age, this adjective is quite welcome:thumbsup: )
    many thanks to Jacinta who got it, despite the parcimony of my question. the meaning that puzzeled me was like that in "Bush's address wins few, if any, democrats". and that was thoroughly explained by Jacinta.:idea:

many thanks to all of you.

(your corrections are welcome)

jacinta

USA English
    Nsonia said:
    Hi Group,

My apology to :
    1. Belen for having unappropriately included my question in cultural matters;
    2. to the Group for not having given context to the use of "if any" .
    these are trivial mistakes of a "junior" member (given my age, this adjective is quite welcome:thumbsup: )
    many thanks to Jacinta who got it, despite the parcimony of my question. the meaning that puzzeled me was like that in "Bush's address wins few, if any, democrats". and that was thoroughly explained by Jacinta.:idea:

many thanks to all of you.

(your corrections are welcome)
    Nsonia, if you will permit me to make a few corrections in your English :) :

inappropriately :tick:
    unappropriately :cross:

puzzled :tick:
    puzzeled :cross:

parcimony :confused: What would you like to say with this word? I looked in my dictionary and it is not there.

Keep up the good work! :)

Nsonia

Hi All,
    This word has puzzEled everybody, as I can see!! sorry!
    I just wanted to describe the fact tha my question was initially expressed in too few words. I was too parcimonious in my use of the words. that was clearly Unappropriate ;) Wasn't it?
    any equivalent word is welcome :)
    thank you again foreros
    Nsonia.

< Previous | Next >