"If Freddie lived now, he wouldn't <die><have died> of AIDS"

Poland91pl

Polish
Hello. I was reading about Freddie Mercury and all the story that he has died of AIDS. I want to tell it to my friend and I want to add that people today don't die of AIDS( those on treatment), and they live as all other people without HIV ( undetectable levels ). Can I say : "If Freddie lived now, he wouldn't have died of AIDS"? or " If Freddie lived now, he wouldn't die"

• Plant Mom

English - United States
    That's technically correct, but a more natural way to say it would be "If Freddie Mercury were alive today, he wouldn't have died of AIDS." Although, that is a little redundant considering if he were alive today, he wouldn't have died at all, but that way of saying it is very natural and common. If you want to be technical about it, you could say "If Freddie Mercury had been diagnosed with AIDS today, he wouldn't have died (due to the treatment options available)."

Poland91pl

Polish
    That's technically correct, but a more natural way to say it would be "If Freddie Mercury were alive today, he wouldn't have died of AIDS." Although, that is a little redundant considering if he were alive today, he wouldn't have died at all, but that way of saying it is very natural and common. If you want to be technical about it, you could say "If Freddie Mercury had been diagnosed with AIDS today, he wouldn't have died (due to the treatment options available)."
    Is it OK to use "today" in the 3rd conditional?

Uncle Jack

British English
    Is it OK to use "today" in the 3rd conditional?
    Yes. "Today" can, in different situations, be regarded as the past, the present or the future. In ""If Freddie Mercury had been diagnosed with AIDS today...", then it probably makes most sense to regard "today" as a figurative use, meaning "in recent times". In a different situation, you might think of "today" as meaning something like "earlier this morning".

Using the second conditional is also fine: "If Freddie Mercury were diagnosed with AIDS today...".

< Previous | Next >