If Government has to unite a nation, this causes the increase in its expense ...

min1127

Korean- Republic of Korea
Hello, everyone.

I want to ask you if the meaning of these two sentences are same.

1. If Government has to unite a nation, this causes the increase in its expense, which consequently reduces the economic resources that can be used for the development of the nation.

2. Government which unites a nation spends much expense, but reduces economic resources for development.

The first sentence is the original meaning, and my friend paraphrase it as the second sentence. She asks me if her sentence is grammatical and properly delivers the meaning.

But i think.. ‘but (government) reduces economic resources for development’ lacks some meaning as government spending much expense in uniting a nation causes the decrease in economic resources for development. Also, i think ‘but’ is not a proper conjunction there...
Am i correct? Or is there no problem in the second sentence?

• e2efour

UK English
    In the second sentence there is no causal connection between increased expenditure and a reduction in economic resources.

But introduces a contrast, but does not mean consequently.

(You cannot spend expenses.)

min1127

Korean- Republic of Korea
    In the second sentence there is no causal connection between increased expenditure and a reduction in economic resources.

But introduces a contrast, but does not mean consequently.

(You cannot spend expenses.)
    Thank you. I have one more question. Can't I say 'spend expenses'? Is it a wrong collocation?

e2efour

UK English
    Since expenses are what you have already spent, it is difficult to spend them.

Expenses could be used as an allowance (i.e. something that is part of what you can spend).
    So someone might say I've spent my expenses for this month, meaning that they have used up their allowable expenses (which is a better way of saying it).

Your second sentence contains "spends much expense", which is wrong. You could say has considerable expenses or spends a lot.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >