If he had been bald, he would have had no hair. [subjunctive past perfect conditional]

Honki

Japanese
Hi.

A grammar book of mine gives examples (1) and (2) below:

(1) If he is bald, he has no hair.
(2) If he were bald, he would have no hair.

Example (1) is an indicative mood sentence, and example (2) is a subjunctive past version of (1).

Question:
What sentence is a subjunctive past perfect version of (1)?

Look at sentence (3) below:

(3) If he had been bald, he would have had no hair.

In my view, sentence (3) seems to be correct as a subjunctive past perfect version of (1).

Would you please tell me your comments about my view?
Is example (3) a correct sentence as a subjunctive past perfect version of (1)?

Thank you in advance.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Yes, it is. :)

In English, however, unlike in some other languages, the verb forms of the pluperfect (or past perfect) tense are the same in the subjunctive as they are in the indicative, so we as native speakers don't generally use the term "past perfect subjunctive" in English grammar.

You'll come across that sequence of tenses referred to as a Type III conditional sentence.

Honki

Japanese
    Yes, it is. :)

In English, however, unlike in some other languages, the verb forms of the pluperfect (or past perfect) tense are the same in the subjunctive as they are in the indicative, so we as native speakers don't generally use the term "past perfect subjunctive" in English grammar.

You'll come across that sequence of tenses referred to as a Type III conditional sentence.
    But, Michela Ippolito (2013: 21) calls sentence (A) below the past perfect subjunctive conditional.

(A) If you had arrived yesterday, Mary would have been happier.

Would you please give me comments about sentence (3)?

Last edited:

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    What is your further question about #3, Honki? You already have agreement that it is "a correct sentence as a subjunctive past perfect version of (1)?"

Honki

Japanese
    What is your further question about #3, Honki? You already have agreement that it is "a correct sentence as a subjunctive past perfect version of (1)?"
    Thank you for your comment, Florentia52.
    I would like to know whether or not sentence (3) is correct as a past pefect subjunctive version of (1).

(3) If he had been bald, he would have had no hair.

Everyone, what do you judge about correctness of sentence (3)?

< Previous | Next >