If he hadn't become addicted....

supermarioutd

Persian
Hello to all,

I want to talk about a condition in the past and the result of that in the future. What type of conditional do I need?

Is this correct? :

If he had not become addicted, he would have a good future.

or this one? :

If he had not become addicted, he will have had a bright future.

Thanks in advance

• D D

Hindi
    Wouldn't it be correct to say " If he had not become addicted, he would have had a good life.(talking about future in past)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    or this one? :
    Why have you changed "good" to "bright"? (Bright is better.)

Thanks.
    I want to talk about a condition in the past and the result of that in the future.
    Conditional sentences give a condition (not addicted) - if this condition is true (it is not - he is addicted) then the statement about an imaginary future would also be true.

You want to talk about an imaginary condition in the past (not addicted) and the result of that imaginary condition being met and the subsequent, imaginary, future.

Let us say that the person is the son of a successful businessman and that the father wanted the son to be his partner - but the son became addicted to drugs and is now unsuitable as a partner. Then we can say
    1. "If he were not a drug addict, he would have a good future." because that future is still possible if he ceases to be a drug addict.

However, if (i) he is not going to stop his drug taking or (ii) it is unlikely that he will or (iii) he is dead, then
    2. "If he had not become addicted to drugs, he would have had a bright future."
    or
    3. "If he were not addicted to drugs, he would have had a bright future."

In both case, the implication is "but he is addicted to drugs and so he will not have a bright future."

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hello to all,

I want to talk about a condition in the past and the result of that in the future. What type of conditional do I need?

Is this correct? :

or this one? :

Thanks in advance
    Neither of these is correct.

I suspect you need to say something like: If he had not become addicted, he would have had a bright future ahead of him.

< Previous | Next >