If I <had been> <were> you

Russulae 🍄🍄🍄

Russian
• If I <had been> <were> you, I I wouldn't have broken the chainsaw stupidly by throwing it away after having seen a beaver in the tree.🌳
• my presumption is "If I'd been you" implies that I'm certain of what I would have done the past(I don't know what I'll do if it happens anew), whereas "I were you" means that if the situation happens again, I won't brake it by comparison with how you did.
What do you think ?

• The Newt

English - US
    There's no difference in terms of the situation the two forms describe. In American English we probably would say "If I were you," although it could be argued that "If I had been you" is more correct.

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    I'd use "if I had been you" about a past situation you were in, and what I would have done in that situation.

I'd use "if I were you" about a present/future situation, and what I recommend that you do.

The Newt

English - US
    I'd use "if I had been you" about a past situation you were in, and what I would have done in that situation.

I'd use "if I were you" about a present/future situation, and what I recommend that you do.
    Yes, we normally expect "If I were you..." to introduce a piece of advice about how to deal with a current situation.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Talking about an incident in the past, I'd use "If it had been me..." (if I had been in that situation...).