If I saw her...

susanb

Catalan-Catalonia
Hello!!

The situation is: A person asks me if I know that girl. Someone has told me before that I must know her because she's of my age and we'd probably been to school together.
question: do you know her?
answer: Well, if I saw her I might recognise her, but I need to see her first as somebody said I must know her.
Is there a shorter way of saying that? Is there an expression, something like "I know her by sight" (though this is not the case)?
Do you see what I mean? Hope I made myself clear:confused:.
Thanks a lot!!

• Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    Hello!!

The situation is: A person asks me if I know that girl. Someone has told me before that I must know her because she's of my age and we'd probably been to school together.
    answer: Well, if I saw her I might recognise her, but I need to see her first as somebody said I must know her.
    Is there a shorter way of saying that? Is there an expression, something like "I know her by sight" (though this is not the case)?
    Do you see what I mean? Hope I made myself clear:confused:.
    Thanks a lot!!

It's kind of an odd thing to say, but if you ever did get into that situation where was this girl about whom people kept asking you, you could say:

People tell me I should know her since we went to the same school and are the same age, but if I do, I can't remember. Maybe I would recognize her if I saw her.

That adequately describes your context and it's what I would say.

susanb

Catalan-Catalonia
    It's kind of an odd thing to say, but if you ever did get into that situation where was this girl about whom people kept asking you, you could say:

People tell me I should know her since we went to the same school and are the same age, but if I do, I can't remember. Maybe I would recognize her if I saw her.

That adequately describes your context and it's what I would say.
    Thanks a lot. I can see I can't avoid a long sentence here as the situation is complex enough.
    Thanks again:)

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    "I might know her to see her" is a brief but fairly idiomatic expression-- one I might get some argument about. It means the same as "if I saw her and recognized her."

The apparent infinitive form here I think has its roots in the proper use of the present subjunctive, which is not "if I saw her" or even "if I should see her"-- but "if I were to see her."

"You wouldn't think so to look at her, but..." is a similar truncation of the if one were + infinitive present-subjunctive form.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Hello!!

answer: I'm told I must, but I don't recognise the (name/description).

susanb

Catalan-Catalonia
    Thank you all. I like maxiogee's sentence. It's just what I was looking for.
    Thanks again!!