If I say to my friend could we go here and there etc...If I keep saying that

claude23

Banned
FRANCE
Hi,

If I say to my friend could we go here and there etc...If I keep saying that. Then, I can see that she's fed up about me asking over and over again. May I say :"Well, I don't want to abuse you ?" Is there another way to say it ? or Is that correct ?

Thank you,

Claude.

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    What's the context? Is your friend upset because you keep asking her to drive you places? Or are you tourists, and she's annoyed because she'd rather go to two or three places, but you want to go to many?

By the way, your friend would be fed up with you for asking something over and over again.

claude23

Banned
    FRANCE
    In fact, I want to use the word"to abuse" but I don't know if It's correct to use it in that way. I mean like when you take advantage of someone ... It's slightly the same thing with abuse.. I think so !! I don't want to get misunderstood because It kind means sexual things as well.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    You can abuse someone sexually, yes, but the word has other meanings.

"Child abuse" includes inappropriately hurting a child - in any way.
    "Drug abuse" means using drugs the wrong way.
    "Abuse of a privilege" means using that privilege in an illegal, illegitimate, or questionable way.
    In your example, you could be "abusing your friend's friendship, kindness, or patience" by expecting her to accommodate your every wish.

Basically, "abuse" means "to use the wrong way."

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    "abuse (somebody)" is not a commonly used word in the sort of circumstances you describe Claude23.
    If I had to use the word "abuse" I would probably use it like this - "I don't want to abuse your hospitality by asking too much of you."

< Previous | Next >