If I use "a.m./p.m." in some parts of the text, should I use them everywhere else to be consistent?

< Previous | Next >

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hello teachers,
If I use "a.m." and "p.m." marks in some parts of the text, should I use them when referring to hours everywhere else to be consistent too or it's optional?

Text:
Her grandfather comes to the house at 8:30 every morning to take her to school. He brings her home again at 1:00 for lunch and takes her back to school at 2:00. Her last class ends at 5:00, when her grandfather collects her.

He cycles to work every day, leaving at 5:00 a.m. It takes him almost an hour to get to the factory. He works there from 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and gets back home at 3:00.

Thanks in advance.

• Rittermeister

English - American
    There's no hard and fast rule for it. If the reader can tell through context (we eat dinner at seven o'clock), there's no reason you have to include AM or PM. To use your example, if we know he leaves for work at 5 AM and it takes him an hour to get there, we can assume that he's starting work at 6 AM, not 6 PM, and getting off work at 2 PM rather than 2 AM.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    There's no hard and fast rule for it. If the reader can tell through context (we eat dinner at seven o'clock), there's no reason you have to include AM or PM. To use your example, if we know he leaves for work at 5 AM and it takes him an hour to get there, we can assume that he's starting work at 6 AM, not 6 PM, and getting off work at 2 PM rather than 2 AM.
    Thank for your help, Ritter. I was wondering if when you can tell it through context it was really necessary. Got it now. :thumbsup:

TL

< Previous | Next >