If I <weren't going to already have left> office

Discussion in 'English Only' started by JJXR, Mar 13, 2018.

1. JJXR

JJXR Senior Member

Russian
    Hello to all,

Thanks for reading my post.

Example:

Initial version: They say they will file a lawsuit against me. If they go ahead with it, it's estimated that I will have already left office by the time the thing is done.

Transformed version: They say they will file a lawsuit against me. If they went ahead with it, it's estimated that I would have already left office by the time the thing was done.

Please help me do the same to the initial version below:

Initial version: They say they will file a lawsuit against me. It's estimated that If I haven't already left office by the time the thing is done, it will be a productive thing to do.

Transformed version: They say they will file a lawsuit against me. It's estimated that If I weren't going to already have left office by the time the thing was done, it would be a productive thing to do.

Thanks a lot for any comments, corrections or suggestions!

Regards,
    JJXR

2. lingobingo

lingobingo Senior Member

London
    English - England
    Only the “original” sentence in the OP is good English. The other versions are so unnaturally constructed that there’s no obvious point in trying to justify them.

They say they will file a lawsuit against me. It's estimated that If I haven't already left office by the time the thing is done, it will be a productive thing to do. :thumbsdown:

They say they’re going to file a lawsuit against me. It's estimated that If I’m still in office by the time they do, it might be worth their while. :thumbsup:

They say they will file a lawsuit against me. It's estimated that If I weren't going to already have left office by the time the thing was done, it would be a productive thing to do. :thumbsdown:

They say they’re going to file a lawsuit against me. It's estimated that if it weren’t for the fact that I will already have left office by the time they do, it might be worth their while. :thumbsup:

3. JJXR

JJXR Senior Member

Russian
    Thanks lingobingo.