If it don’t eat later on when everyone else is eating, you will get in trouble

< Previous | Next >

Fbohn21

Deutsch
Hello.

My child is eating candy, although we are supposed to meet our friends for dinner.

I am very angry with her, can I say:

If you don’t eat later on, when everyone else is eating, you will get in trouble.

• Fbohn21

Deutsch
    That she will get in trouble me if she doesn’t eat her dinner just because she’s eaten too many sweets.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Are you asking about the tenses you've used?

Here's a model for the conditional construction.
    "If you don't do your homework, you won't pass the exam."
    "If you work hard, you'll be successful."

Last edited:

Fbohn21

Deutsch
    I am asking about the tenses I have used. Especially about “when everyone else is eating”

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Especially about “when everyone else is eating”
    Thank you for that essential information.

Either the simple present or the continuous could be used in this clause. The choice depends on how the speaker sees the situation.
    If you don't eat when the others eat would probably not be my choice, but I can't see any ambiguity. It might suggest a habit of refusing to eat in the right context some sort of phobia about being seen eating.
    -"He never eats when others eat".

We all understand what eating at a meal involves, assuming a common cultural background and seeing the meal as an occasion which involves eating.
    People are eating as a continuous activity during a meal. We don't 'eat' in co-ordinated unison.
    "If you don't eat when the others are eating ... ." is the only possibility.
    However, to my mind, it's a most unlikely and unnatural way of expressing parental annoyance at the child spoiling his appetite.
    It suggests that if the child doesn't/can't/ won't eat anything at the meal they will be punished.
    That's what 'be in trouble' suggests. The child is already 'in trouble'!

Last edited:

Fbohn21

Deutsch
    Would “eat” mean that I was staring at the same time as everyone else and “eating” means that everyone else has started eating?

Fbohn21

Deutsch
    Why do you think the child is already in trouble?

It will be if he/ She doesn’t eat his/her dinner because he/she has eaten too much candy.

< Previous | Next >