1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

If it snows (is raining) this week, I will go skiing at the weekend.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by marcogaiotto, Aug 28, 2018.

1. marcogaiotto Senior Member

Italian
    If it snows this week, I will go skiing at the weekend. (single sentence, no further context given)
    Hello! Can you help me, please?
    In the previous question, would the present continuous be wrong (If it is snowing this week, I will go skiing at the weekend.)? Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  2. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London but from Yorkshire
    English - England
    Why would you try to go skiing if it is raining? :confused:

I have never tried it, but I understand that skiing is done in snow not rain.

3. marcogaiotto Senior Member

Italian
    Sorry, se16teddy!!!!! It was a typo....!!!! I meant "it is snowing"!o_O

4. kentix

kentix Senior Member

English - U.S.
    It sounds wrong to me. "If it is snowing" describes an action taking place now. Pairing it with a future date doesn't make logical sense. In fact, "If it is snowing this week" doesn't make sense, even without talking about the weekend. Snowing is a reference to this exact moment, not to a certain time frame with a beginning and end.

5. marcogaiotto Senior Member

Italian
    Thank you, kentix!

6. dojibear

dojibear Senior Member

Fresno CA
    English - Northeast US
    1) If it snows this week, I will go skiing at the weekend.
    2) If it is snowing this week, I will go skiing at the weekend.

The meaning of sentence 1 is clear: you will go skiing this weekend if (between now and this weekend) there is a heavy snowstorm.

The meaning of sentence 2 is not clear. The continuous "is snowing" is used in two ways:

1. for the whole span of a time period mentioned "It was snowing for two whole days."
    2. at a particular moment that is mentioned - "It was snowing when I left the house."

7. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London but from Yorkshire
    English - England
    The continuous aspect such as "is snowing" is used to refer to an action that happens at the same time as, or continues until, some other relevant action. "This week" is not an action.