If it was not him/ he, whom ...?

< Previous | Next >

s21d

hindi
If it was not him/ he, Whom would I trust?

Kindly tell me which pronoun is correct.

• Einstein

UK, English
    Strictly speaking, "whom" would be correct as it's the object form. However, it sounds quite pedantic or old-fashioned and "who" is generally used nowadays for both subject and object.

"Whom" is used a bit more as a relative pronoun after a preposition in formal texts: "The person to whom I gave it...". The more spoken form is "The person I gave it to".

s21d

hindi
    Strictly speaking, "whom" would be correct as it's the object form. However, it sounds quite pedantic or old-fashioned and "who" is generally used nowadays for both subject and object.

"Whom" is used a bit more as a relative pronoun after a preposition in formal texts: "The person to whom I gave it...". The more spoken form is "The person I gave it to".
    Einstein kindly tell me whether him or he is appropriate.

It is interesting that when you do a search on "If it was not him, whom" you quickly come to references to grammar books written in the early nineteenth century.
    Anyway, I will go for: "him", as "I would trust him" or "Would I trust him?" would be correct, not "I would trust he" or "Would I trust he?"

As Einstein said, it sounds old-fashioned.
    If you do a search on ""If I can't trust him, who can I trust?", you will find examples of how contemporary speakers / writers would probably say it.

s21d

hindi
    It is interesting that when you do a search on "If it was not him, whom" you quickly come to references to grammar books written in the early nineteenth century.
    Anyway, I will go for: "him", as "I would trust him" or "Would I trust him?" would be correct, not "I would trust he" or "Would I trust he?"

As Einstein said, it sounds old-fashioned.
    If you do a search on ""If I can't trust him, who can I trust?", you will find examples of how contemporary speakers / writers would probably say it.
    Thank you johngiovanni:)

Einstein

UK, English
    Sorry, I misunderstood the question (I'm busy working!). I see that JG has answered.

My instinct would be to say "if it was not him", not because "him" is the object of "trust", which is in another part of the sentence and already has its object "whom", but because in an emphatic position "him" is usually preferred in modern English. However, I find the sentence strange; If I had to express it this way, I would find it more natural to say, "If not him,..."

< Previous | Next >