If Italian immigrants don't integrate, Australians don't learn to accept them

Bella57

Australia-English
Ciao,

I'm trying to say "if italian immigrants don't integrate, Australians don't learn to accept them" - or something that you think sounds better to the same effect. I'm really confused as to which tense I have to use, I've had a go but I'm pretty sure it doesn't read as it should.
"Il mio tema afferma che se gli immigrati italiani non sono integrati, gli australiani non imparano ad accettarli"

Or maybe it would sound better if I say Australians can't learn to accept them or something? Any help would be great! Grazie!

• mekas

Nigeria/English
    se gli immigrati italiani non tentano integrare, gli australiani non potrebbero acceptarli.

if the italian immigrants do not try to intergrate, Austrialians would not be able to accept.
    (i prefer to use the action verb "try" to indicate or stress the fact that they need to make an effort at integrating). Do Austrilians need to "learn" to accept them? Guess they either do or not, hence i dropped "learn". but on the other hand, they might either find it either hard or easy to accept them, in that case the second sentence might express that better

oppure

se gli immigranti italiani non tentano integrare, gli australiani trovarrebero difficle di acceptarli.

spero che le espressioni sono corretti. gli esperti diranno più

Manuel_M

Maltese
    Bella57 said:
    Ciao,

I'm trying to say "if italian immigrants don't integrate, Australians don't learn to accept them" - or something that you think sounds better to the same effect. I'm really confused as to which tense I have to use, I've had a go but I'm pretty sure it doesn't read as it should.

"Il mio tema afferma che se gli immigrati italiani non sono integrati, gli australiani non imparano ad accettarli"

Or maybe it would sound better if I say Australians can't learn to accept them or something? Any help would be great! Grazie!

Se gl'italiani non s'integrano, sara` difficile per gli australiani accettarli.

silvietta

Italy-italian
    Bella57 said:
    Ciao,

Ciao Bella,
    un piccolo appunto, cerca di usare titoli significativi per i tuoi thread "un'altra domanda" è un po' vago e non ne spiega il contenuto:)
    Here is my try, I advise I am going to change a bit the original... Let me know if you like it or not
    "Gli Australiano non potranno imparare ad accettare gli immigranti italiani se essi stessi non tentano di intagrarsi"
    Silvia

Bella57

Australia-English
    thank you everyone! Sorry I didn't make the title of the thread more specific...I would have except I didn't want to make it too long! Silvia, is your version more like something italians would say? Could you please translate it into english so I know that I'm understanding it properly? Should it read "gli australiani"? does "essi stessi" mean they themselves? I'm not sure if I've come across essi before. I don't mind how I express the idea, I just want to express the idea that prejudice is a symptom of ignorance, one avoided by cultural mingling and understanding! Grazie!

Oh and immigrati and immigranti can both be used to mean immigrants right?

silvietta

Italy-italian
    Bella57 said:
    thank you everyone! Sorry I didn't make the title of the thread more specific...I would have except I didn't want to make it too long! Silvia, is your version more like something italians would say? Could you please translate it into english so I know that I'm understanding it properly? Should it read "gli australiani"? does "essi stessi" mean they themselves? I'm not sure if I've come across essi before. I don't mind how I express the idea, I just want to express the idea that prejudice is a symptom of ignorance, one avoided by cultural mingling and understanding! Grazie!

Oh and immigrati and immigranti can both be used to mean immigrants right?
    "immigrati"= people (italians in this case) who are in the stranger place yet
    "immigranti" more general referred to people (italians) who immigrate to the stranger place
    This is what I understood of your sentence: Australians can't learn to accept italians immigrants if the italians don't try to integrate themselves. If this is right my translation sounds good...
    Let me know.
    About the title of your thread you can just choose a part of the sentences:) if you think it is too long.
    Please correct my terrible english
    Silvia

Bella57

Australia-English
    Silvia,

Your english isn't terrible, much better than my italian let me assure you! Yes that is what I wanted to say "Australians can't learn to accept italian immigrants if italians don't try to integrate themselves." - this statement refers to how ethnic groups tend to band together in ethnic enclaves, or geographical clusters which consist mainly of their own nationality. Your translation is very good and much appreciated! I'm writing a speech, and just hope I can say all of this properly...it looks good on paper though.

Grazie Mille!

erick

English (USA)
    "Gli Australiano non potranno imparare ad accettare gli immigranti italiani se essi stessi non tentano di intagrarsi"
    Bella57 said:
    does "essi stessi" mean they themselves? I'm not sure if I've come across essi before.
    Ciao Silvia e Bella. Anch'io vorrei sentire una spiegazione di essi stessi. Immagino che significhi "they themselves," come se stesso, me stesso, ecc. ma non si può dire se stessi? <-- sarebbe scorretto? Grazie

Manuel_M

Maltese
    erick said:

Ciao Silvia e Bella. Anch'io vorrei sentire una spiegazione di essi stessi. Immagino che significhi "they themselves," come se stesso, me stesso, ecc. ma non si può dire se stessi? <-- sarebbe scorretto? Grazie
    Perhaps,

Essi stessi = subject while se stessi = object?

Elisa68

Italian
    erick said:
    "Gli Australiani non potranno imparare ad accettare gli immigranti italiani se essi stessi non tentano di integrarsi"

A couple of typos in Silvietta's post! :)

Essi stessi means they themselves.You can find also loro stessi.

No, in this case you cannot say se stessi, since se is impersonal while essi is referred to Italiani.

Another little thing. You can write both gli australiani or gli Australiani (I prefer the latter ;) ) but if you write Australiani you should be consistent and write Italiani with the i capitalized and viceversa.

EDIT: I think Manuel is right!:eek:

silvietta

Italy-italian
    Elisa68 said:

No, in this case you cannot say se stessi, since se is impersonal while essi is referred to Italiani.

Another little thing. You can write both gli australiani or gli Australiani (I prefer the latter ;) ) but if you write Australiani you should be consistent and write Italiani with the i capitalized and viceversa.

EDIT: I think Manuel is right!:eek:
    La nostra attentissima Elisa! Grazie!

Bella57

Australia-English
    Elisa68 said:

Grazie Elisa, thankfully I could actually pick up the typos too! It's always a vote of confidence when you can ;)

I equated Essi stessi to loro stessi, in this context though, can either be used or is it better to use "Essi stessi"?

Elisa68

Italian
    Bella57 said:
    I equated Essi stessi to loro stessi, in this context though, can either be used or is it better to use "Essi stessi"?
    It is absolutely up to you! They are interchangeable!;)

Bella_Italia

Australia - English
    I wanted to ask...I was always taught that you weren't supposed to use capital letters when talking about nationalities - Italiani, Australiani etc...you're saying that this is not the case and you can in fact do it both ways as long as you are consistent? Thanks for all your help!

< Previous | Next >