If Nathan Straus wishes to be the first mayor of Jerusalem

victoria00

Romanian
"If Nathan Straus wishes to be the first mayor of Jerusalem, let us hope that it will not be deemed an unwarranted intrusion into politics of another community to express a wish for the gratification of his ambition." - The New York Tribune

I don't really understand the underlined part of this phrase. Who's who (so to speak)?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Quite a bit has been left to your imagination:

"If Nathan Straus wishes to be the first mayor of Jerusalem, let us hope that it will not be deemed an unwarranted intrusion into politics of another community [if we who are in an unrelated organization and a different country and are thus uninvolved in the decision and any consequences] express a wish for the gratification of his ambition." - The New York Tribune

Gwan

New Zealand, English
    The New York Tribune hopes Nathan Straus will become mayor of Jerusalem, if he so desires (they "wish for the gratification of his ambition"). But they hope that saying so won't look like they're unduly meddling in the politics of a foreign city ("let us hope that it will not be deemed an unwarranted intrusion into politics of another community").

x3mazda3x

British English
    I do not know about the political "who's who" of this sentence, but I can take the underlined part and say it in simpler terms.

If Nathan says he wants to be the first mayor of Jerusalem, let us hope that people will not say that he is intruding on another community's politics by wishing to be mayor.

I can't tell you who the "community" is because I do not know the full story of what is happening in Jerusalem, but I hope my re-wording of this sentence will make it clearer for you.

victoria00

Romanian
    Thank you!
    Lately I've been having these moments of complete "blankness", when no matter how many times I read a sentence, nothing makes sense anymore - so these explanations are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    This is from a very old issue of the newspaper, I assume. (Strauss died in 1930 or so.) Newspapers used more formal language at the time.

< Previous | Next >