If no other things, let's get started.

xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
A group of customers (from the same company) came to visit our company. I showed them to the meeting room. After they were seated and were served tea/coffee, I would like to start the meeting. I said "Ok, if no other things, let's get started. First of all, we are going over the presentation of ABC." (ABC is our company's name)

For the part in bold, I would like to say if there are no other things you want to say/do, let's start our meeting. I don't think my "if no other things" is natural or common in my context. If I just said "Let's get started", it should be abrupt I think, so I want to say something there. What's your suggestion? Thank you.

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I agree with Dermott. A variation on "let's get started" might be: "Shall we get started?" or "Shall we begin?" That seems to me a little gentler, less commanding to your company's guests.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    "If there isn't anything else, ..." is more colloquial than "If no other things ..."

The problem with either of these, and with other ways of saying the same thing is that the use of "other" is only correct if at least one topic has already been discussed. That topic might have been as simple as "Could you please tell us where the nearest toilets are?" but it must be there. If it isn't, then something along the lines of dermott's or Parla's suggestions would be better. They do not use "other," so they are better for general use.

< Previous | Next >