if not as easily

markliu

Chinese Mandarin
A sentence:
A poor child may believe that one can get along, if not as easily, without wealthy.
in the phrase "if not as easily", what was eliminated in it?

• Copyright

American English
    Where did you see this phrase? If nothing else, I think it should end in "wealth," as should all our lives. :)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I think you meant to write 'wealth'.  If that is correct, the sentence means:

A poor child may believe that one can get along [without wealth] [even] if [one] cannot [get along] as easily [as with wealth]. 

I would not have written the sentence that way myself.  The construction is awkward. 

Cross-posted.

Last edited:

markliu

Chinese Mandarin
    Hi, cagey,
    First of all, thanks for your answer.
    I felt it did not make sense.
    A poor child may believe that one can get along[even] if [one] cannot [get along] as easily [as with wealth], [without wealth].
    what is the meaning of this sentence. Can you kindly explain it further?

Loob

English UK
    Let's assume that you meant A poor child may believe that one can get along, if not as easily, without wealth. (not wealthy)

I would imagine that this means:
    A poor child may believe that one can get along without wealth - but not as easily as one can get along with wealth.

That said, it's rather a strange sentence - where did you find it?

markliu

Chinese Mandarin
    Hello, Loob,
    Nice to meet you again.
    I felt this sentence strange as well so I came to wordreference forum for help.
    A IELTS examiner has wrote some IELTS writing essay, an this sentence is a part of an article.

< Previous | Next >