<If not,> you can break the ice ....

< Previous | Next >

dual light

KOREAN
Hello!
I'd like to know what is represented by "If not" in the following passage. Thanks for your help in advance.

You need to smile and smile sincerely. You need to have that love and care for others in you in order to really be a successful Uptrend Business Leader.

If you smile and extend your hand in salam or greeting, chances are that 99 percent of the people you meet will actually smile back in return and introduce themselves to you!

If not, you can break the ice by simply saying , "I don't think that we have met! I am .....Team ....Business Leader. What's your name?" ..etcetera.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    It's not well written, but the writer means "If the other person doesn't smile back and introduce himself/herself to you..."

blaisepascal

English
    Well, the passage gives a sense that it's referring to the first usage of "if": "If you smile..." and in such a case "if not" would mean, "if you do not smile and extend your hand" then try breaking the ice instead.

But based on the context of the passage and to me the only logical interpretation would be that "if not" refers to the possibility that they do not return a smile and introduce themselves and "if not"then you have to break the ice. "If not" refers to a situation that you're basically anticipating what you would do were it to happen.
    In this case it's unclear (because, really, you would probably just introduce yourself while you shake hands), but I'm thinking that's what the passage is trying to say. Perhaps I'm letting it pass over my head, but the passage has some ambiguities. Perhaps someone else has a better understanding than I do.

dual light

KOREAN
    It's not well written, but the writer means "If the other person doesn't smile back and introduce himself/herself to you..."
    Thanks, Florentia52.
    If so, would there also be any possibility that it means "If you don't want to smile and extend your hand ~"?

dual light

KOREAN
    But based on the context of the passage and to me the only logical interpretation would be that "if not" refers to the possibility that they do not return a smile and introduce themselves and "if not"then you have to break the ice. "If not" refers to a situation that you're basically anticipating what you would do were it to happen.
    Thanks for your kind comment.^^

wandle

English - British
    if you do not smile and extend your hand" then try breaking the ice instead.
    I do not think that can be the intended meaning. The initial sentence reads:
    You need to smile and smile sincerely
    The writer clearly means that sincere smiling is essential, not optional.

The sentence beginning 'If not' means:
    'If your smile and hand gesture on their own do not prompt the other person to introduce himself or herself, then you will need to introduce yourself and ask the direct question'.

< Previous | Next >